Teaching tricks is not only a fun way to bond with your dog, but a fabulous canine enrichment activity that provides mental stimulation, helps promote confidence, adaptability as well as the ability to problem-solve and deal with stress.
Tricks Dogs [minimum age of four months] can also earn the following titles recognized by the American Kennel Club:
- AKC Novice Trick Dog (TKN) – Your dog performs 10 skills from the Novice list. Only 5 Novice level tricks are required if your dog already has a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certificate or title on record at AKC. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Intermediate Trick Dog (TKI) – Your dog must have the Novice title, plus perform 10 Intermediate tricks. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Advanced Trick Dog (TKA) – Your dog must have the Intermediate title, plus perform 10 tricks from the Advanced list. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Trick Dog Performer (TKP) – In this title, handlers perform a short routine with at least 10 tricks with at least 3 tricks using props. See the requirements here.
- AKC Trick Dog Elite Performer (TKE) – In the highest level of Trick Dog, the Elite Performers perform a routine that has a story/script. At least 5 props are used. See the requirements here.
Trick Dog Evaluations can be completed in person or virtually via video submission. Here’s how:
- Print the Tricks Checklist/VVF for the applicable level(s)
- Identify the tricks you will be performing.
- Record a video of your dog performing the tricks and upload it to YouTube or Vimeo.
- Note: Novice and Intermediate Tricks must be shown twice. A lure may only be used for Novice level tricks unless otherwise stated on the tricks checklists. You may use toy and/or food reward for all levels.
- Email your video link to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a virtual review or ask to make an apt for an in-person Trick Evaluation.
- Please include your name, your dog’s name and your dog’s AKC Number.
- A separate video should be submitted for each level you wish to have evaluated.
- Don’t have YouTube or Vimeo to share your videos? No worries, reach out and we will figure out another way.
- Submit payment of $10 per AKC Tricks Dog (Video) Evaluation via PayPal.
- [Cash and checks accepted for in-person evaluations]
- Once your video has been reviewed and approved, we will send a copy of the Tricks Checklist/Video Verification Form to you as well as AKC [email@example.com]
- Lastly, to apply for the title, you will send the following to AKC:
- a copy of the completed Tricks Checklist/Video Verification Form received from the CGC Evaluator, the Trick Dog Title Application, Trick Dog Title Application fee